Welcome to Pop's Garage!

Pop's Garage, not a real place, so don't look for it in the Yellow Pages, lol. Actually, my wife has called me "Poppa" since before we got married, and I thought it would be a good name for a garage if I were to ever open one. So I'm using it here.

On to the purpose of this blog. I love pretty much anything to do with cars. Mostly old muscle cars, classic trucks, mini trucks, diesel trucks, hot rods and some sport compacts. Some times, I either get to working on a project, or have ideas for one and I like to share the info with others. There are also times I am working on a car for someone and I need to complain about the engineers bad ideas, or rave about the good ones. So this is my place to do that.

A little background on me and my automotive experience. I have been driving since 1992, when I turned 16. I have worked in the automotive industry in some way since 1994, off and on, either selling parts, delivering parts, installing parts or making parts. I have been in to building custom cars for just as long. I have built about 10 cars of my own and helped my friends on dozens more in the past. I have been in 5 car clubs since I was 16, and president of 3 of those 5. The club names were Syndicate (Dayton, OH), Furious Stylez (president), Crossroads Customs, 0-60 of Dayton (President), and Positive Perception (President, current club my wife and I have been trying to start since '08).

So that's all about me. Later I'll post about some past, present and future projects. C-ya!


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Project "Locomotion" - 1982 Chevrolet C10 Silverado Diesel - Part 3

Here we go with Part 3 of my project plans. In this part, I will give the details on the interior, wheels, tires and the finish details.

INTERIOR
For the interior of my truck, I'm proposing to use a few different methods and materials. For the majority of the interior, I want to do a combination of leather and tweed, probably in a light saddle tan all around with the stitching and any piping matching closely to the main body color of the truck. The center console will be covered in fiberglass and also painted the body color. The dash will be painted the body color on the steel parts and the dashpad will be covered in the leather I decide to use. Any vents and trim will be made from billet aluminum, mostly mass produced parts available from LMC Truck. The steering wheel will be billet aluminum as well, leather wrapped from either Colorado Customs, Billet Specialties, or the maker of my wheels if available. The steering column will be a Flaming River or Ididit polished unit. The seats I plan to use will be re-covered seats from a late model F-body, or possibly a 'Vette. The carpet is going to be from ACC Mats in the light saddle tan.



As for the electronics, I don't plan on anything huge. I just want to have something simple with a decent kick to it. I have not researched equipment much lately, but if the quality is still there, I plan to use all Kicker and Alpine pieces. Starting at the dash I will install a 3 1/2" component set and a 4"x6" for a center channel, in the kick panels I will install a set of 5 1/4" components with the tweeters mounted in the A pillar, the doors will get a pair of 6 1/2" components and behind the seats a row of 3 10" Solobarics. In all I will use 3 2 channel amps with a sub channel and a decent crossover to control everything. For the visual side, since the stock radio location is in a bad spot, I will install a 7" monitor in the dash that will be motorized to hide when everything is off. I will also install an Alpine head unit with a screen for my tuner, GPS and audio/Video controls. This part of the build may change when I get to it, but this is my plan for now.

For lighting, I would like to install something subtle for accent. So I'm going with a 6 tube set of either solid color or million color LED's from LEDGlow. I installed one of the million color sets in my nieces car and they turned our pretty cool, even to an old guy like me.

WHEELS & TIRES
The wheels and tires are another thing that wont be final until I get to that point. But I do know the size and style I like. I want to use a 22"/24" combo. 22" on the front and 24" on the rear. Or if I can get the clearance, and still lay frame, I will go with 24"s all around. I'm also partial to a 5 spoke style, or some variation, in a polished billet. I am not a big fan of chrome wheels, especially on a truck following the sport truck style.

DETAILS AND THINGS I FORGOT

The list of details is short, but still part of the build. I would like to use hard line and tube wherever possible to replace any rubber for my fluids. Some hoses may have to just get either braided line or some sort of cover.

In my previous post, I seemed to forget to mention my paint scheme. That might help you visualize what I mean in places where I mention "paint the same color as the truck", or similar. The paint will be 2 tone with an accent stripe dividing the colors. The top color will either be silver, or deep amethyst like my old Neon. The bottom color will be Copperhead Metallic mixed by Stacey David from Gearz and old host of TRUCKS! The accent stripe will be a silver if I go with the purple top, or an electric blue if I go with the silver. In the accent stripe of my paint job I want to have some scripture written out. One passage will be John 14:6, and possibly John 3:16. I have others in mind, but want to think about which ones would be best. I also want to put on the tailgate a dedication to God and my family for helping make the project possible. 

I think that's everything. If you have a question, please post in the comments and I will try to answer the best that I can.

So, until the next post, keep the rubber side down, and get to wrenchin'!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment to my blog!

H-D

Harley-Davidson® Tri Glide® Ultra ClassicDesigned to be the ultimate touring machine with comfort & confidence on 3 wheels.
Check it out at Harley-Davidson® Tri Glide® Ultra Classic