Welcome to Pop's Garage!

Pop's Garage, not a real place, so don't look for it in the Yellow Pages, lol. Actually, my wife has called me "Poppa" since before we got married, and I thought it would be a good name for a garage if I were to ever open one. So I'm using it here.

On to the purpose of this blog. I love pretty much anything to do with cars. Mostly old muscle cars, classic trucks, mini trucks, diesel trucks, hot rods and some sport compacts. Some times, I either get to working on a project, or have ideas for one and I like to share the info with others. There are also times I am working on a car for someone and I need to complain about the engineers bad ideas, or rave about the good ones. So this is my place to do that.

A little background on me and my automotive experience. I have been driving since 1992, when I turned 16. I have worked in the automotive industry in some way since 1994, off and on, either selling parts, delivering parts, installing parts or making parts. I have been in to building custom cars for just as long. I have built about 10 cars of my own and helped my friends on dozens more in the past. I have been in 5 car clubs since I was 16, and president of 3 of those 5. The club names were Syndicate (Dayton, OH), Furious Stylez (president), Crossroads Customs, 0-60 of Dayton (President), and Positive Perception (President, current club my wife and I have been trying to start since '08).

So that's all about me. Later I'll post about some past, present and future projects. C-ya!


Friday, January 8, 2010

New Garage/Barn/Workshop Plans - Just Dreaming

For the past few weeks, my mind has been running wild with plans and ideas for a new barn to replace the not-so-well-built one we have now. What we have now is 32'x40', uninsulated, leaky - wind and water, and the gambrel roof is deflecting about a foot and roof joists are pulling away from the beams. After the last few major wind storms we have had, a lot of the roof has blown off and I noticed a week ago that some of the gutter and downspouts have blown down. Also, it only has a dirt floor and 7 foot ceiling, poor lighting and a workshop and tack room that are unusable for anything other than storage of items that can't really be hurt by the elements. Plus we have or had a groundhog living under the floor of the tack room. As of right now, we store our golf cart, lawn tractor and my truck in there, along with some old engine parts and my engine hoist.

With that said, if money were not an issue, I would build the ultimate barn/workshop. Who wouldn't, right? First off, the size would be 40'x80' with a clear floor and open ceiling with a gambrel roof, to look like the old barn. I would want a 30'x30' loft in the rear that would be over a metal fab shop and a woodworking shop, and the remaining 40'x50' floor space would be my auto shop. The garage door would be 10'x12', or maybe 14' high in case I decide to get a bus or semi project. All of the floors would have radiant heat. The hot water would be supplied by a tankless water heater. I would have outlets installed every 6' around the shop and in 3-4 rows up the wall. These outlets would be for if I were to collect neon signs or some other lighted car art. The doors to the 2 smaller shops would be 6' wide and full light double doors. The floors would get an epoxy coating, except the loft would get either wood or tile.

For starters, in the auto shop I would have a 2 post lift, something no shop should be without. This would be located in front of the wood shop, on the left of the barn. I would also put up a couple 2'x8' rows of heavy duty shelves to store engines, transmissions, body parts and anything else I collect over the years. The selves would be located on the right side of the barn in front by the roll-up door. All of my tool storage will be in a large tool box similar to a Mac Macsimizer, which I used a box builder on Matco's site and my dream toolbox would cost me about $25,000. I would also have plenty of hardware storage bins because I've torn down a lot of cars and motors to collect about 2 5 gallon buckets worth of brackets, bolts, nuts and screws. Lastly for the auto shop storage would be a shelving unit for all of my chemicals like oil, antifreeze, trans fluid, cleaners, etc. If I can get them cheap, I would also add a brake lathe, tire changer and balancer. Under the stairs would be a 3/4 bath with a shower so if I got too funky, I could get a shower and not drag all the dirt and grease into the house.

In the wood shop, I would like to have common tools and equipment. In the center would be an 8'x8' table and a location for my table saw. On the dividing wall between the wood and metal shops, I would have storage for lumber and other materials. On the right side wall, I would have my miter saw and a planer, and if there's room, a lathe. I would also install a central vac system for dust collection.

In the metal shop, I would have a lathe, mill, surface grinder and drill press. I would also fit in a MIG, TIG and arc welder as well as a plasma cutter and oxy/acet torch set. For metal forming, there would be an English wheel, box brake and shear, a good tubing bender and shrinker/stretcher. I'd like to be able to make pretty much any part I need when working on my projects.

The loft area will be pretty cool too. As soon as you get to the top of the stairs, there would be a half bath. As you walk past the bathroom, there would be a full kitchen with a bar. Past the bar is a large couch and either a large flat screen or a drop down screen with a projector. For games, we would have a pool table, card table, air hockey and Foosball table. If I had this space, I think I would also start collecting die cast cars again and have either a case or shelves along the walls.

I have been working on a plan in Punch! and have been putting a materials list together. So far, the cost is up to about $20,000. This is for the concrete, framing, sheathing and drywall. I still have a lot to put on the list as well as figure out if my clear span, open ceiling on a 80' barn will work.

This is all for now, but if I think of other things I will post them.

So, until the next post, keep the rubber side down, and get to wrenchin'!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment to my blog!

H-D

Harley-Davidson® Tri Glide® Ultra ClassicDesigned to be the ultimate touring machine with comfort & confidence on 3 wheels.
Check it out at Harley-Davidson® Tri Glide® Ultra Classic